Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat Pray Love": A Woman's Wondrous Pilgrimage


"Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark." (p. 175)

Elizabeth Gilbert has a Kierkegaardian sense to her, all right! She continues:
"If we truly knew all the answers in advance as to the meaning of life and the nature of God and the destiny of our souls, our belief would not be a leap of faith and it would not be a courageous act of humanity; it would just be...a prudent insurance policy. I'm not interested in the insurance industry. I'm tired of being a skeptic, I'm irritated by spiritual prudence and I feel bored and parched by empirical debate...I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on water."

I'm going to share clips from this book in the weeks to come. Pretty interesting pilgrimage she is on...more of a personal quest than a holy pilgrimage. Interesting and beautiful and insightful nonetheless.

Enjoy!

Buen Camino!

Peace of pilgrims, Brett

No comments: