Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pentecost and Beyond! The Pilgrimage of the Christian Life Continues


I am writing this on Pentecost: to my kith and kin who are following this blog, the Western Church celebrates this day as our Pentecost, while my Eastern Church kith and kin celebrates Pentecost in a few more weeks.

On this day, we read from Acts 2, remember the wind, the fire, the gathering of people, groups speaking in different or foreign tongues that were not taught to them but descended upon them as a gift of the Holy Spirit, who is truly God not only "with us" but "among us" and "in us." On this day we celebrate the birth of the Church in its more-or-less current form.

But the Church is, has been, and will ever be, where "two or three are gathered in my name, and I will be there": the Church is when we meet one another on the pilgrim-way of life. While I understand the importance of sacred places and the architecture of the faith, on this day I am brought back to this point: we celebrate this day that God breathes, lives, works, worships, prays, and serves others in, through, by, and some times, despite, of us.

What was publicly and personally celebrated over 2000 years ago continues to live on this very day wherever we may be along the pilgrim-way of life.

Bien Camino!

Pilgrim peace,

Brett

No comments: