Thursday, October 4, 2007

The First Three Days Are Over

The first three days have drawn to a close, and I am into the pilgrimage. The first two were full of pain because of the blisters, and my body getting used to walking the distance and carrying a back pack that is heavier than what I usually carry in life. Having made the mountain top Cebriero, and getting a great pilgrim dinner (white and red wine), and talking to some new friends this morning after watching a night of great soccer with Real Madrid, I decided to walk the entire way.

Jackie is a co-sojourner from New Zealand. She and I walked down the mountain top of Cebriero, and recounted for me how her body had to get used to the walk, as did mine. How quick I forgot the first pilgrimage I was on, in which my body ached the first two or three days, and that it wasn´t until day three that all seemed to go better!

That would be the lesson: pilgrimage begins with the foot, but it begins with re-learning the steps of the pilgrim as if I have never been on pilgrimage before. The true spirit of pilgrimage, with mindbodyspirit working together, comes on day three. And it came today without fail.

I am spending the night in Tricastelos, and tomorrow Sarria. The town is quaint and beautiful. The morning began with a walk in the mist over mountain ranges, with the sun breaking through the mist and showing us the beauty of northern Spain. Villages and farms were the way through for pilgrims, and I stepped in the residue of the presence of lots of cows, meeting cows coming down the way, and being greeted with home made crepes by a farming wife. The weather has been glorious, showing us the green mountain side of Spain, with farm life well intact. The small chapels and walls reach back to the Roman and Moroccan influence, with walls built by Romans during their occupation of this land.

Feet are better. Spirits are better. It is fun watching those who began their journey at the head waters of the pilgrimage drawing close to Santiago...their excitement is palpable.

Bien Camino! Good way! Or Good Pilgrimage! This is the greeting throughout the days.

Bien Camino!

Pilgrim blessing, Brett

3 comments:

Dean said...

Brett,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am growing in longing and envy to be on the journey myself! Your writing is so vivid and descriptive, I can envision the country side as I read. Pilgrim on.

Jim G said...

Great! I am so glad to hear that your feet are recovering and that you've decided to walk on. It will be mountain and valley and mountain again.

I've heard you can sleep in the monastery at Samos and, of course, listen to the monks who introduced many to chant. That would be a real treat!

Ultreya!

shana said...

Animo, hermano! I wish I could also be there with you in person. I am enjoying your use of so much Spanish. Perhaps you are also being prepared for Santiago de Chile.

Prayers for wholeness and the FundaciĆ³n DOMUN would be greatly appreciated.

Que Dios te bendiga y te de fuerza!