Friday, October 5, 2007

Monastery at Samos

The day´s highlight was going to the Benedictine Monastery at Samos. It was a longer walk to Sarria, but well worth it. I was greeted by a Benedictine monk who gladly pronounced me not obltate but ¨oblato¨, smiled and hugged me, brother to brother...hermanos! Beautiful monastery and a very old community.

The blisters are better...thanks for the prayers. Walked in marvelous countryside with patchwork quilt farms on the hillsides. Loved looking at the beauty of northern Spain.

I am reminded that the body needs time to remember that it is on pilgrimage, and that I am being re-memeber, re-connected with God´s followers as pilgrims. The lessons of pilgrimage and Chrisitan daily life are flooding over me, e.g., remembering that life is one step at a time, and be where your feet are planted. I am expecting down hills around every corner after going up hill all the time, and only greeted with more uphill. But I smile, and trudge on, one step at a time.

To Portomarin tomorrow, and Santiago by Wednesday!

Bien camino!

Pilgrim peace, Brett

1 comment:

Jim G said...

Portomarin is a great town.

Palas de Rei should have a couple of Sellos at the church and a nice statue of a pilgrim down a small alleyway on the camino.

The albergue in Melide is very large - should have no problem with finding a bed there. The showers are a bit, um, minimalistic. No shower doors. Ask Terre her opinion about it sometime. There is a nice supermercado within a couple of blocks.

Arzua is the next biggest town after that. There is a small church (I think St. James). Depending upon the day you might be able to catch a service there - I think I recall a pilgrim mass of some kind. Listen for Spanish bagpipes - we heard a group practicing downtown.

I'm so pleased that you've hit so stride and are enjoying your walk.