Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Santiago de Compestela! Made it!

I´m actually here, and made it to Mass at 12 noon today! Thank you all for your prayers that made this trip possible.

Long story short: Jackie (NZ) and I were heading on the 20 km a day schedule from Palas de Rei to Ribadiso to Arca to Santiago. Ribadiso, the lovely little Albergue, had no internet, so I blogged the next day on the way through Arzua, and we kept hiking onward to Arca for the night. It was 20km a day, or thereabouts.

We kept walking and talking, passing people by, feeling in our stride while walking, and we passed through Arca before we knew it! Dilemma: We could either turn back and find a place, or keep walking. We kept walking...30 km in one day! The most ever! But then it was only 10 km to Santiago the next day.

With aching feet, tired backs, and hungry stomachs, we made it to Lavacolla, outside of Santiago. We found a hotel! It had a big bath, in which I nursed my aching feet! And we had a bed to ourselves, which was great! No bunk beds! And a nearby restaurant-cafe! We hit it big time!

After a restful night sleep, cafe con leche guzzled, I put on my Chacos sandals (no boots today) and we strode into Santiago by 12 noon!

There was a Mass at 12 noon! The sanctuary in incredible, with more gold and silver than I have seen in a long time. We are to be blest by a large incense burner tomorrow at Mass, which they used to use to de-louse the pilgrims, and change the odor of the day!

Three of us found a quaint pension for the night, and tomorrow I´m catching the night train to Madrid!

Again, thank you for prayers and peaceful thoughts! I offer your prayers to blessed Jesus, the Pilgrim God as well!

Bien Camino!

Pilgrim peace, Brett

3 comments:

Dean said...

Brett!

Congrats on reaching Santiago. I can hear the glee in your voice. What a wonderful opportunity you have had. I look forward to all the details when you return to the states. Enjoy Madrid with all its different sites as well. The formal part of the pilgrimage down the el comino may be complete, but the pilgrimage of life continues on.

Blessings pilgrim man.

Jim G said...

Great news, Brett! Thanks for keeping us informed of your journey.

Unknown said...

Brett
I have tears in my eyes reading this last blog entry. I am happy for you and remembering that same special moment for me and Jim 3 years ago. Have a safe journey home and we can't wait to hear all the details.
Peace and love,
Terre Greer